Friday 15 June 2012

Friday Fun - Limoncello


  
When I saw these lemons at the market I knew I had to buy them and use them in something special.  The weather had been so dreadful here, non stop rain and overcast skys so I decided to make some limoncello. 

I googled several recipes and they are all pretty similar.  This is the quickest version using a sugar syrup - only two weeks wait before you can drink it!

Ingredients:
1 Litre of vodka
3 large lemons or 6 small ones
500g caster sugar
200ml water

Method:
Peel the lemons - trying not to get any of the white pith.  Squeeze all the juice out of the lemons and set aside. 

Place the caster sugar and water into a large saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Add the lemon peel, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. 

Add the juice, bring back to the boil and simmer for another 5 minutes.   Leave to cool for about 20 minutes.


Pour into a large jar and add the vodka.  Leave for 2 weeks shaking the jar gently every day.  Strain and pour into bottles. 


 
Serve chilled and drink while waiting for the sun to shine!

I am planning to experiment with other fruits and see what flavoured vodkas I can create!
 
Have a lovely weekend.

Bakebakegirl.
 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I'll definitely be giving it a go :)

    ReplyDelete