Monday 25 June 2012

Monday Ta-da! - Hello Kitty Cake


Yesterday was Minibakebakegirls birthday, I can't believe she is 10!   This photo is from her second birthday, it was cold that day.  Her main present was a sand/water table and she played with it all day, her little hands were bright red but she wouldn't come indoors!

For the past three years I have made her a chocolate birthday cake and used fondant for a Hello Kitty design on the top, it has now become a bit of a tradition, which she may not want when she is a teenager, but I enjoy making it.

I make a standard victoria sponge cake for each layer, adding a tablespoon of cocoa to make it chocolatey. I made three layers this time, I was catering for 11 people, sandwiched together with chocolate buttercream.   This year though I made my buttercream so so so so quickly. How? I hear you ask. Well look.......



I have drooled over a Kitchenaid for a long time.  Minibakebakegirl gets embarrassed when I make a bee-line for them in John Lewis and then spend the next hour stroking them until I am asked to leave.  There come in so many pretty colours but I have always wanted a cream one and it looks sooo good in my kitchen. Ahhhh, happy Bakebakegirl, sad I know. Anyhoo this is amazing for making buttercream. I just put all the ingredients in the mahooosive bowl, covered with a teatowel, switched it on and ta-da buttercream! 


Minibakebakegirls only request for her cake was that it wasn't girly so I tried my best. The Kitty whiskers were a nightmare - I bought black writing icing and it just seemed to slide off. I went to bed hoping that there wouldn't be a lot of bald Kittys in the morning. Luckily just a couple needed touching up. 


Minibakebakegirl was very pleased with it and I think the rest of the family enjoyed it too.



Minibakebakegirl had a lovely birthday, lots of lovely presents, including some crafty ones.  The three of us went out for tea last night, she even managed to make room for a chocolatey pudding.


Thanks for visiting,
Bakebakegirl

Minibakebakegirl's top three random ipod songs:

1. Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5
2. I Gotta Feeling - The Black Eyed Peas
3. Yellow Submarine - The Beatles

4 comments:

  1. Yay for a kitchenaid! I dream of having one some day. So glad to hear your daughter enjoyed her day, too. Let's hope she never outgrows the Hello Kitty cake :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get one at some point - it is fab!

      Delete
  2. Oh yum that cake looks Delish! I really love baking (even though it doesn't always turn out as planned)so obvioulsly I love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, had a look at your blog - I love your rainbow cake, might try something like that at some point :o)

      Delete