Monday 12 May 2014

Monday Bake - Rhubarb and Custard Cake


Hubby brought home some rhubarb from the allotment this week.  Last year I made Nigella's rhubarb polenta cake but this week's bake involved a trip to the sweet shop.  All those jars of sweets to choose from - but I was looking for one in particular - rhubarb and custard.

I did laugh, as the last time I bought sweets from a sweet shop like this I would have asked for a quarter, but I wasn't sure what to ask for. The lovely woman in the shop laughed and said I could still have a quarter!!  These sweets weren't for my recipe, just for a bit of nostalgia after seeing a recipe for a rhubarb and custard cake in this month's Good Food magazine.  I found a simpler recipe on their website




As quite a few people said in the comments it did take longer to bake than the time stated - probably about 20 minutes extra after being covered with foil.

With the extra rhubarb - once roasted and cooled I chopped it finely and used it as a base layer for creme brulee for pudding yesterday - any excuse to get out my cooks blowtorch - stand back everyone! But I forgot to take a photo - I will have to make it again!

Yesterday Hubby and I visited the Living Crafts at Hatfield House.  We went last year and the weather was pretty much the same this time - no rain but very windy and a bit chilly.  I think it was quieter this year - as some of the tents seemed quite empty of visitors.   There are so many lovely stands.  Lots of inspiration for future crafty projects.  




I did love this horseshoe horse - shame it wouldn't fit in my garden!  We walked through the stables on the way out - the wisteria is so pretty against the red brick.









Thanks for visiting,
Bakebakegirl

Today's top three Spotify songs:

1. White Wedding - Billy Idol
2. Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles
3. Digging Your Scene - The Blow Monkeys

No comments:

Post a Comment