Monday 1 October 2012

Minibakebakegirl Monday - Victoria Sponge

Hello, Minibakebakegirl here :o)  I am in year 6 at school.  I went to look round secondary schools last week, there were a lot of cool things to see and do which included having your hands set on fire in chemistry!  Well my hands had a tower of bubbles on them and then they set fire to that - it was cool! 

On Thursday I went to the British Schools Museum.  I went into a Victorian classroom and had some lessons.  Somebody got the cane and one person had to wear the dunces hat.  I had a really good day but I prefer going to my school!

We had to take a victorian lunch so to have after my sandwich we made a victoria sponge cake.

So I am going to show you how to make the Victoria sponge me and my mum made.  This is a very easy recipe and it tastes so good.  My mum used this for her Jubilee Cake.

Ingredients:
Cake:
200g caster sugar
200g margarine
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp milk
200g self raising flour
Jam - any flavour
Icing sugar to dust

Buttercream:
250g butter - softened
450g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp milk

Method:
Preheat the oven to 190c/Fan 180c/GasMark5
Grease and line the bottom of two sandwich tins.
Cream the sugar and margarine together until light and fluffy. 
Add the eggs one at a time beating well between each one. 
Add the vanilla extract and milk and beat again. 
Sift in the flour and carefully fold in. 
Split between the two tins and bake in the oven for 20 mins. 
My mum makes this recipe in two bowls putting half the ingredients in each one - so she knows both cakes will come out even.
When the cake is cooked (when an inserted skewer comes out clean - if it doesn't pop the cake back in the oven for another 5 minutes - then check again - repeat as necessary.
Leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the icing soften the butter by beating with a wooden spoon then mix in the icing sugar, vanilla and milk.  Mix until smooth and creamy.   My Mum puts all the ingredients in her Kitchen Aid, covers with a tea towel and lets it do all the hardwork!

Cover one cake with a layer of jam and then spread the buttercream on top, place the other cake on top.  Dust the cake with icing sugar.



 
 
 
See you soon.

1. Bom Bom - Sam and the Womp
2. Forever Yours - Alex Day
3. Beggin - Madcon


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks gorgeous! My daughter is in Year 6 too and she has a Victoria day soon. She's very excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks says Minibakebakegirl - Hope she enjoys it as much as Minibakebakegirl did.

      Delete