Monday 30 July 2012

Monday Inspiration - Olympic Torches

We have had a very busy Olympics weekend.  We all enjoyed the Opening Ceremony on Friday - it really was amazing, we all were saying "that is the REAL Queen with James Bond!".  Minibakebakegirl and Niece2 wanted to stay up to see who was going to light the cauldron, however, as Minibakebakegirl was to get up early on Saturday morning they managed till 11.15pm.  I think they lost interest watching all the teams arrive, there were lots of countries I had never heard of!  I thought it was a nice touch that they had the next generation of British competitors to light the cauldron which once lit was beautiful, a very, very clever design.

Minibakebakegirls early start was for Olympic girl's football in Coventry with Hubby.  She was lucky enough to win the tickets in a draw at school.  They watched two matches Sweden v Japan and Canada v South Africa.  The best match was the second one according to Minibakebakegirl!


Then yesterday we all went to Earls Court to watch men's volleyball.   We watched Australia v Argentina and USA v Serbia.  We quickly picked up the rules, however I was surprised to see players jumping into where the officials were sitting to hit the ball!  I was very taken by the group hugging by the teams - mostly when they scored but sometimes when they didn't.  There was also a lot of handshaking and patting on backs!  Great team spirit. 


Our journey from home couldn't have gone better, the tube wasn't too busy and we all liked the Boris announcements :o)  He is the Mayor of London and apart from that I am not sure how to describe him! 

Inspired by our weekend, today we made Olympic Torch cupcakes.   I have seen cupcakes baked in icecream cones before with the icing piped like icecream and when I saw ones made to look like olympic torches I thought I would give it a go.

I used my standard cupcake mix and just filled the cones like cupcake cases. 


They took the same amount of time to bake as normal ones.




I then made red and yellow buttercream for the flames and spooned it alternately into the piping bag.


I am really pleased with how they turned out and Hubby has asked for me to make some more for him to take to work.

Hope you are enjoying the Olympics too, this is our television viewing for the next few weeks.

Bakebakegirl

Todays top three random Ipod songs:

1.  She's So Lovely - Scouting For Girls
2.  Wow - Kylie Minogue
3.  Pack Up - Eliza Doolittle

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! The torch/cupcake is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't take credit for the idea but I am pleased with them :o)

      Delete