Monday 30 June 2014

Monday Ta-da! - Triple Chocolate Caramel Cake


Last Tuesday Minibakebakegirl turned 12. Here's a picture of her when she was three - she loved her picnic garden set - so many lovely teddy tea parties in the sunshine.  The past few years I have decorated her birthday cakes with fondant icing (here and here) - but I don't like it - I usually end up eating only the sponge - having spent ages in the kitchen making the cake, I feel a bit hard done by!! This year I decided to make a chocolate cake covered with chocolate ganache. The recipe I used was a Lulu Grimes one from Olive magazine's 10th birthday issue, last year.


I love rainbow cakes, when the surprise is when you cut into it - like my jubilee cake.  But sometimes the amount of food colouring required to get a decent colour is scary!!  This layers in this cake are - vanilla, caramel, caramel chocolate and chocolate.  Then there are three ganaches - dark chocolate, milk chocolate and caramel.  I sprinkled the top with "bronze crunch" from Waitrose.



I am really pleased how it turned out, the layers look great.  We had family round to share it with on Saturday.  With four tiers this is a definite special occasion cake.   The sponge was really easy to make and I could adapt it for a smaller cake with two layers for another time. 

Minibakebakegirl had a lovely birthday - she got her braces fitted on Friday so she is still getting used to them.

Thanks for visiting,
Bakebakegirl

Today's top three Spotify songs:

1. You've Got Time - Regina Spektor
2. I Can't Stand The Rain - Eruption
3. Daydream in Blue - I Monster

No comments:

Post a Comment