Sunday 12 October 2014

Monday Bake - Brandy Snaps



On Wednesday I watched the final of the Great British Bake Off (a little bit later than planned due to a school trip meeting at Minibakebakegirl's school - the teacher did state that she would whizz through the info so everyone could get home to watch GBBO!)

I have really enjoyed this series - there were several bakers I really liked and I was happy with who won.

I decided to set myself a technical challenge this week and make Mary Berry's Brandy Snaps from The Great British Bake Off How To Bake Book (from Series 2).   Unlike the bakers in the tent I did have the full recipe!




My first four were too big.  I did find it easier to roll the mixture into little balls once it had cooled a bit instead of dropping the hot mixture on the baking sheet to bake.   And once baked you do need asbestos hands to wrap the still warm snaps around the wooden spoon handle.


We had them for pudding - yum!  Whilst eating them we were discussing why they are called brandy snaps when they don't contain brandy.   Wikipedia states: "Brandy Snaps are first known from a reference in John Trotter Brockett's glossary of Northcountry words of 1825, with a suggestion that the name comes from 'branded' as in burned"  which makes sense!

Thanks for visiting,
Bakebakegirl

Today's top three Spotify songs:

1. God Only Knows - BBC Music
2. Easy Money - Johnny Marr
3. Juliet - Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment