Tuesday 21 October 2014

Monday Bake - Ham, Corn and Chilli Muffins



Hubby has grown lots of chillies at the allotment this year.  He grew some ghost chillies and sent them to Nephew2 at Uni as he is a big chilli fan! I've used some in my cooking but as there are so many I decided to dry the rest.  So I currently have two window sills full of chillies on trays, drying out to then be blitzed into flakes for storing.



On Sunday I made some savoury muffins.   (I keep saying I need to do more savoury bakes on here!)

This is a Hairy Bikers recipe that was in a Saturday magazine a few weeks ago - it makes 12.

Ingredients:
Oil for spraying
1 tsp lemon juice
250ml semi skimmed milk
250g self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder (I also added 1 small fresh chilli chopped up finely)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
50g parma ham - finely chopped
100g canned sweetcorn
2 medium eggs - beaten
25g grated cheddar cheese

Method:
Preheat the oven to 200c/fan 180c/GM6.  Line a muffin tin with paper cases and lightly spray each case with foil.  Add the lemon juice to the milk and leave to stand for 5 minutes.  It will thicken slightly and become similar to buttermilk.

Sift the flour, baking powder, smoked paprika and chilli powder into a large bowl.  Add the dried oregano, chopped ham and sweetcorn, then mix everything together well.  Add the beaten eggs to the buttermilk and stir.  Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients.  Stir just enough to combine, keeping the mixing to a minimum.

Divide the mixture between the cases and then sprinkle some grated cheese over the top.

Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked.  Leave to cool.





I added slightly more cheese than the recipe stated.  They were delicious but did stick to the cases a wee bit.   I think I would try making them next time in my silicone muffin tray and not use any cases.

Thanks for visiting,
Bakebakegirl

Today's top three Spotify songs:

1. Acceptable in the 80's - Calvin Harris
2. The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim
3. American Boy - Estelle

No comments:

Post a Comment